1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
1 cup amaranth
1 onion, peeled and chop roughly
1 clove garlic, peeled
Handful of fresh mint leaves, plus another handful for yogurt sauce
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Squirt of horseradish sauce (optional)
1/4 cup toasted Amaranth flour (any other toasted local flour is a fine substitute)
Canola oil for frying
1 cup plain yogurt
1. To cook the amaranth, toast the grains until golden brown. Boil in a large quantity of salt water until ready (about 20min). Rinse under the tap to remove excess starch. Amaranth will still be crunchy, but shouldn’t be hard.
2. Toast cumin and coriander seeds for a couple of min until they are fragrant and slightly darker. Remove from pan into a small bowl and allow to cool. Throw seeds into a coffee/spice grinder and powder.
3. Throw peas, amaranth, spices, onion, garlic, mint, extra virgin olive oil, salt into a food processor. Puree as smooth as possible. If need be add up to 1/4 cup of water.
4. Scrape into a big bowl. Add horseradish sauce (optional) and flour. Mix and shape mixture into small patties.
5. Pour enough oil into a non-stick pan to fry the patties. Fry until the bottom is dark brown (about 2 min), and then carefully flip over. Brown other side, then remove from the pan and drain on paper towel-lined plate.
6. Serve with a spoonful of yogurt sauce.
To make the yogurt sauce: Mix yogurt with finely chopped mint leaves and a generous pinch of salt. Chill in the fridge.