Yields: 18 Granola bars
135g rolled oats
100g popped amaranth grain
25g marula nuts (roughly chopped)
50g roasted mongongo nuts (roughly chopped)
120g dried fruit
135g peanut butter
170g honey or maple syrup
1/2 tsp sea alt
30g dark chocolate (chopped)
50g dark chocolate (melted for drizzling on top)
• Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
• Heat a large saucepan over a high heat. Add a few grains of amaranth and when they start to pop add the rest. Make sure the amaranth is in a thin layer at the bottom of the saucepan. Cook in batches if you need to. Keep the amaranth moving by tossing in the saucepan so it doesn’t burn.
• Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Heat the peanut butter and maple syrup/honey. Pour over the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
• Press the mixture tightly into the baking tray and place into the freezer for 1 hour. After an hour, remove and drizzle the chocolate over the top. Place back into the fridge for 20 minutes.
• Remove the block of granola from the tray and cut into bars or squares, while still cold. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week (if they last that long 😉)
These should be kept in the fridge to help them keep their shape.
You could freeze these for up to 3 months.