Amaranth and Fresh Vegetable Risotto
- 2 cups amaranth grains
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 125g button mushrooms
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- ½ cup diced vegetables (carrots, sweet potato, greens…)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or other hard cheese
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley and cheese for garnish
- To cook the amaranth, toast the seeds until golden brown. In a covered medium saucepan, bring the amaranth and water to a boil. Simmer, keeping covered, for about 20 min. During that time, open and stir two or three times. This will help prevent the amaranth from sticking to the bottom too much.
- While the amaranth is simmering, heat the olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid on medium-high. Sauté the onion until translucent.
- Remove onion and proceed to sauté the mushrooms and other vegetables and finally the garlic. Season to taste.
- When all the veggies are browned but not yet cooked through, put the onion back, add the white wine and some water, if necessary, and cover. Simmer until all are just tender.
- When the amaranth is ready, pour the vegetable mixture and Parmesan cheese into the prepared grain. If desired, deglaze the pan with additional white wine or water, and add the liquid to the amaranth too. Fold gently to combine.
- Serve warm, garnished with parsley and grated cheese!