Amaranth Grilled Pizza
- 750g white bread flour
- 250g toasted amaranth flour
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 x dried yeast sachets
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 650ml lukewarm water
- Extra olive oil for grilling
- Sieve the flours and salt on to a clean work surface and make a well in the middle.
- In a jug, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and leave for a few min, then pour into the well.
- Using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough.
- Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Now transfer the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands. You can either use it immediately, or keep it, wrapped in cling film, in the fridge (or freezer) until required. If using straight away, divide the dough up into as many little balls as you want to make pizzas.
- Roll out the balls and generously brush with olive oil before wrapping in foil and putting on the grill or braai! Turn around when it starts smoking.
These pizzas can be served with the following toppings:
- spinach, ricotta and feta
- tomato, red onion and bacon
- mozzarella cheese, jalapeño/large chili pepper, garlic and oregano
- mushroom, artichoke and prosciutto/Parma ham (an uncooked dry-cured ham)
- banana and chocolate sprinkle!