Amaranth Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons cooked amaranth, sorghum or millet grains
- ½ chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Herbs of your choice (Italian, oregano, parsley…)
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- To cook the amaranth, toast the seeds until golden brown. Boil in large quantity of salt water until ready (about 20min). Rinse under the tap to remove excess starch. Amaranth should still be crunchy, but shouldn’t taste hard or gritty.
- In the mean time, wash your tomatoes & slice off the tops. With a spoon, hollow out the flesh of the tomato being careful not to pierce the cup you are making. Save the pulp & juice, give it a turn in the food processor.
- Sauté the onions until translucent in olive oil, add garlic, pulp of the tomatoes and herbs. Season and leave to simmer for a couple of min. When ready, combine with the cooked amaranth.
- Spoon mixture into tomato cups and replace the tops of the tomatoes.
- Bake in a casserole dish with a little olive oil rubbed on the bottom for 20-30 min. When the tomatoes start to split, it’s done! Serve warm or cold with a drizzle of olive oil.