- 1 cup cooked amaranth
- 2 sheets Nori seaweed
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (white vinegar is also suitable)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 9 prawns (shell removed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ carrot
- ¼ baby marrow
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- To cook the amaranth, toast the seeds until golden brown. Boil in large quantity of salt water until ready (about 20min). Rinse under the tap to remove excess starch. Amaranth should still be crunchy, but shouldn’t taste hard or gritty.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil until sugar dissolves. Stir into the amaranth and combine with toasted sesame seeds.
- Fry the prawns in a little olive oil with garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut carrots and baby marrow in strips using a vegetable peeler and blanch/cook briefly in boiling salt water.
- To put the Sushi together, lay a Nori sheet flat and cover with a layer of amaranth. Add prawns, carrots and baby marrow. Simply roll the Nori sheet and wet with your finger to stick the end on. Cut each roll into 6 pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce and wasabi, alternatively with a little sweet chili sauce!