Amaranth leaves – the Jamaican way
- 1 bunch of fresh amaranth leaves
- 2 thick bacon strips, cut in pieces
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 whole chili pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut leaves and soft stems from the amaranth branches; soak them in a bowl of cold water for about 5-10 minutes or until finished with prep.
- Proceed to slicing the onion, mincing the garlic and dicing the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Remove amaranth leaves from water and cut in chunks.
- Place bacon pieces in saucepan and cook until crispy. Then add onion, garlic, thyme, stir for about a minute.
- Add tomatoes, chili pepper and smoked paprika. Sauté for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Finally add vegetable, salt, mix well, and steam for about 6-8 minutes or until leaves are tender. Add a tiny bit of water if needed. Adjust seasoning and turn off the heat.