Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Quiche with Amaranth Crust
- 3/4 cup amaranth, rinsed
- 2 and a bit cups water
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, cut into 0.5cm cubes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme + additional for garnish
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
For the crust:
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Bring the amaranth and water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the amaranth is tender. About 20-30 minutes. Set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the cooled amaranth with the egg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Press the mixture into a lightly greased pie plate. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C. Toss the sweet potatoes, onion, leek and thyme with olive oil. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast in the oven until fork tender. About 15 minutes. Toss veggies once halfway through cooking. If the onions begin to brown too quickly remove them from the oven earlier.
- Reduce the oven temperature back to 190°C.
- In a bowl mix the veggies with the eggs, milk, goat cheese and a little salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the crust and place back in the oven. Bake until golden brown and set in the centre. About 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
*Use this recipe as a guide. *Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. *Cooking times will vary depending on your ingredients and specific oven.