Zimbabwe Nut Clusters
- 2 cups chopped raw mongongo nuts
- 2 cups raw marula kernels
- 4 cups popped amaranth
- 1 cup mixed seeds
- 8 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp syrup (golden, honey, maple)
- Set your oven rack to the middle of the oven and set the oven to 165°C to preheat.
- Mix all dry ingredients (nuts, pops, seeds) into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the honey and syrup into the dry ingredients until they are coated evenly. It won’t look like much sweetener but it will be enough to make these form clusters nicely.
- Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet. It’s a bit sticky so you could cover the baking sheet with some baking paper first.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and set the timer for 15 minutes. Take them out as soon as you see them start to brown!
- When ready, leave for a few hours to cool.
- Once cooled, peel the mixture off the baking sheet, breaking it into clusters as you go.
You can use almost any combination of nuts, seeds, oats, and puffed grain; just keep the ratio to 2 cups of dry ingredients for 3 tablespoons of liquid sweetener.