Cassava Root Crisps
- Root/ tuber vegetables such as cassava, potato, sweet potato, madhumbe, beetroot and carrot
- 1L cooking oil
- Wash the products. Peel if using cassava and madhumbe.
- Cut into very thin uniform slices.
- Dry slices thoroughly with a clean dish towel before frying but they must not be left too long otherwise they will turn black.
- Heat about 4cm cooking oil in a deep frying pan. It should just start to smoke. To test the heat of the oil, place a slice into the oil. If it starts sizzling the oil is hot enough.
- Place some of the root and tuber slices in the frying pan. Cook a few slices at a time until golden brown.
- If using different root and tuber crops, fry each type separately leaving beetroot to last as it stains the oil pink.
- Remove the slices from the pan and place on paper or a sieve to remove the oil. Season to taste.
Use freshly harvested roots/ tubers.