Granola with bush ingredients
- 6 cups oats
- 1 ½ cup chopped mixed dried fruit
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 6 tablespoons mixed seeds (pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, linseed, sesame seeds, etc.)
- 50g chopped mixed nuts (e.g. marula nuts, mongongo nuts)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or all spice
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 2 heaped tablespoons baobab fruit powder
- 80g brown sugar
- 125 ml runny honey
- 40g margarine or butter
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Popped amaranth (optional)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Melt brown sugar, honey, butter, cooking oil and vanilla essence in a saucepan.
- Then pour over the dry ingredients. Use your hands to mix well.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on (a) baking sheet(s) and bake (at 100°C) until crisp, toasted and golden brown (45 minutes or so).
- Stir the mixture from time to time during baking, to maintain a loose consistency.
- Cool, before storing in an airtight container. You can add some popped amaranth to the granola at this stage.
- Eat with yogurt or milk, and fresh fruit. It can also serve as a topping for desserts.