Herbed Amaranth Cakes
- 2 1/2 cups cooked amaranth grains
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped spinach or any local green vegetable (precooked)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup toasted amaranth flour
- To cook the amaranth, toast the seeds until golden brown. Boil in large quantity of salt water until ready (about 20min). Rinse under the tap to remove excess starch. Amaranth should still be crunchy, but shouldn’t taste hard or gritty.
- Combine the cooked amaranth, eggs and salt in a medium bowl.
- To a food processor, add herbs and spices, onion, spinach/green vegetable and garlic; process until finely minced. Stir into the amaranth mixture.
- Add feta, whole wheat breadcrumbs and baking powder, stir and let it sit for 5 min so the crumbs can absorb the moisture.
- Form into two-inch balls, roll in toasted amaranth flour, flatten slightly and arrange on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 175 deg C. Bake for 20 min, turn and bake another 5 min or until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with yoghurt dip or sweet chili sauce.