Marula Nut-Basil Pesto
- 3 good handfuls fresh basil, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 handful marula nuts, very lightly toasted
- 1 good handful Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ clove garlic, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- lemon zest and small squeeze lemon juice (optional)
- Pound the garlic with a little pinch of salt and the basil leaves in a pestle and mortar (or pulse in a food processor). Add a bit more garlic if you like, but usually ½ a clove is enough.
- Add the marula nuts to the mixture and pound again.
- Turn out into a bowl and add half the Parmesan. Stir gently and add olive oil – you need just enough to bind the sauce and get it to an oozy consistency.
- Season to taste, then add most of the remaining cheese.
- Pour in some more oil and taste again.
- Keep adding a bit more cheese or oil until you are happy with the taste and consistency.
- You may like to add some lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice at the end to give it a little twang, but it’s not essential. Try it with and without and see which you prefer.