Marula Nut Shortbread (Dipped in Chocolate and Crushed Marula Nuts)
By Sekayi Munemo – 0772 944504
- 250g butter(cup)
- 125g sugar
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 15ml almond essence
- 370g flour (plain or combine with wholegrain oatmeal flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 200g roasted marula nuts
- 135g dark chocolate
- 250ml cream
- 100g roasted and crushed marula nuts
Optional: chocolate sauce and marula nut dip
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a pan, roast the nuts until golden (15 min). Remove the skins as much as possible.
- Mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla and almond essences.
- Sift together the flour and salt, then add the butter mixture with 200g of the nuts. Mix until the ingredients come together. Gather into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to 2cm thick. Cut into 5cm long fingers (or whatever shape you like!) and lay on a baking tray. Bake for 20-25 min until the edges begin to brown. Leave to cool.
- Optional: Melt the chocolate with the cream over a gentle heat. Stir together until blended. Chop up the remainder of the marula nuts as finely as possible (use a food processor or place them in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin).
- Dip the biscuits in the chocolate sauce and sprinkle with crushed marula nuts. Alternatively, transfer the chocolate sauce to a tabletop burner and let your guests do the dipping.