Spiced Chocolate Mongongo Nuts
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons minced dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg (egg white only)
- 4 cups (500g) mongongo nuts
- Preheat oven to 150°C, position rack in middle position and grease baking sheet with oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, allspice and ginger.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat egg white until slightly foamy. Stir in spiced sugar until a smooth batter forms. It will start out looking dry but will loosen as you stir.
- Fold in the mongongo nuts until evenly coated. Spread the glazed nuts in a single even layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until nuts are lightly toasted (about 25 minutes).
- Let cool, stirring nuts every few minutes to prevent sticking.
- Once cool, break up any remaining clumps and serve.
- Nuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.