Mopane worms relish
- 500 grams dried mopane worms
- 3 tomatoes, diced or 1 can of tomatoes
- 2 onions, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 fresh chillies, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- tablespoon of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- a little cooking oil (preferably home-pressed sunflower oil)
- To reconstitute, soak the dried caterpillars in clean water for 15 minutes. Drain the water and give the worms a last clean, stretching them to clean in between the folds.
- Fry the onions in a little oil on medium heat. Add turmeric, chillies, garlic and ginger. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the caterpillars.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until the caterpillars have softened a bit but are still crunchy.
- Salt to taste and serve with sadza and green vegetables.