This syrup will keep for months if refrigerated. It is delicious over pancakes, waffles, custard, yoghurt or ice cream, and fresh fruit. To make cordial, a very small quantity of syrup can be added to a glass and filled with (soda) water. The syrup can also be added to milk to make a delicious drink.
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups dried rosella, chopped
- Heat the sugar and water in a large saucepan until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the rosella and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently until the volume of liquid is reduced by a third.
- Remove from the heat and strain.
- Bottle the syrup while still hot into clean bottles and seal.
- The strained calyces can be eaten as a dessert with ice cream or custard.