Sour plum syrup
- 50% Sour plums / Ximenia
- 50% granulated sugar
- The day before, rinse the wild sour plums well in cold water and drain.
- Cup-for-cup measure equal parts sour plums and granulated sugar.
- (You can use rosella if no sour plums available. For rosella syrup recipe, check: )
- Mix the fruit and the sugar together in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until the fruit has softened and browned, and the juice has thickened to syrup, about 2 hours.
- Remove from the heat, strain the fruit out of the syrup, and cool.
Original is to be found at: savannabel.com
Image courtesy of Annabel Hughes